Today is the celebration of the glorification of St. Herman of Alaska (1970). He was the first saint to be glorified on the American continent and is called the “North Star” of the Church in America. His feastday is December 13, 1837 since he reposed on that day.
Troparion (tone 7)
- Joyful North Star of the Church of Christ,
- Guiding all people to the Heavenly Kingdom;
- Teacher and apostle of the True Faith;
- Intercessor and defender of the oppressed;
- Adornment of the Orthodox Church in America:
- Blessed Father Herman of Alaska,
- Pray to our Lord Jesus Christ
- For the salvation of our souls!
- [Mat. Emily (Charming the Birds from the Trees) has a post containing children’s books about St. Herman and appropriate activities for his feastdays.]