Humor doesn’t tend to lend itself well to allegory.
I think the problem is the story, as I’ve thought it out, is too sweet, if you know what I mean. I don’t think I could endure writing (much less reading) fiction that contains no humor whatsoever. But I don’t know if I can adapt it to include any humor.
In other news:
1. There’s a cherry picker opposite my house taking down branches from a big, old oak tree. I guess they’re getting ready for hurricane season. Speaking of which, it sure was a wimpy season last year. I wonder if that will change this year. Hm.
2. Today’s high is supposed to be 98. Tomorrow’s should be 100. That’s hot. That’s I-don’t-care-who-you-are-and-where-you-grew-up hot. My current bedside book is The Little Ice Age (nonfiction). I’m sure there’s no connection. On the other hand, it’s nice to read about the Thames being frozen to the point that they held fairs on it during the winter.
3. I’m so glad the quilt top is finished. Last night I added the last piece of border to a quilt I started ages and ages ago so that top is done too. I can’t show pictures because it will ultimately be a gift. Later. However, I’m going to the store to get batting today (I already have backing) and will start quilting it possibly later today. I took a long hard look at the situation last night and decided to machine quilt. What the heck. I don’t have an extra 200 hours just sitting around waiting to be filled.
4. Somewhat related to #2, the children are pestering me for a pool. This takes planning because although our yard looks level, it isn’t, and you have to find just the right spot or the water all goes to one side. Like last year. Based on the spot we looked at yesterday, I’m going to have to buy a longer hose. Sigh. This is also an investment because you can’t just get a little molded plastic pool for five kids. One year we did get two, but we’ll have to see.
5. I need to hunt around for a “Keepin’ it Real” Award winner. Stay tuned later in the day.
6. I need some new books. We may have to hit the library.
7. Don’t let me forget to bake Litya bread for tonight!!!
8. And because today is the leavetaking of Pascha, one more time,