Well, part of the break involved cruising around the internet looking at other people’s awesome decorating abilities. This was not exactly helpful. I mean, yes, there were good ideas, but hiring Martha Stewart to come and decorate for me is not exactly in the budget. For starts, I knew I was going to have to deal with the mirror. It couldn’t hide behind a rather summery painting anymore. There were garlands aplenty visible online, but I didn’t have the proper greenery available and wasn’t about to shell out for it either. I started getting carried away and was on the point of trying to figure out on my own how to make a magnolia leaf garland to fit over (not on) the mantle when I stopped and realized that if I was searching for this and not finding it, there was probably a good reason.
Snobbishly, I felt I couldn’t hang a fake garland over this impressive mantle. After ruling out magnolia, I figured the best way to feel better about fake was to light it up.
|Don’t ya just love the ceiling fan? I couldn’t get it out of the picture.|
|Oh, wait, sure you can! You just move in juuuuust the right place.|
So, ok, I had to pop two skinny nails in. I’m so over worrying about nail holes. I hate electrical cords a lot more but I was able to hide this one partially by virtue of it being white on a whitish wall. I also was able to tuck it just behind the molding. A little tape to keep it there and voila!
So, now to the mantle itself. I had immediately decided that my grandparents’ nativity would be front and center. Unfortunately, it’s pasteboard and not very young. It looked pretty shabby up there and the more I added to either side, the worse it looked. I stepped away from this problem for a while too. It was at this point that we put the lights up on the tree.
Several strings later we decided we needed at least two more (the more the merrier) and I was off to the store to get them and a few odds and ends. On the way, I realized that because the mantle was all white, I had a fantastic chance to use a decorating trick I’d seen years ago and wished I could do. I got a yard of tulle and a small string of clear lights on white wire. The rest is easy as pie. I just laid the lights on the mantle, going behind the nativity scene and worked the tulle (I had to split it down the middle just to get more length – you don’t need the width) around the lights, covering them. Dabbing here and there artistically finished it. Then I just worked in some of the things I had already put up there.
|The little bottle tree on the left is in terrible shape, but it was packed with the
Nativity set so I’ve always put them up together. I hung a crocheted snowflake
on the pillar candle. Instant winter!
|Same area, but from above. The tulle really softens the light.|
|This is to the left of the Nativity. I have no idea where we got that little
wooden church in the foreground. Everything turned out white and goldish.
|This is a very bad picture of the center of the Nativity.
There is a hole cut in the center of the roof for light to shine in, but it wasn’t.
I propped a few bulbs covered in tulle in the opening and it shone the light
in just the right place. Go here to see better pictures of the whole thing.
So the only things left were the stockings. I had gone back and forth about how to hang them. In the past several years we hung them on the stair rail. No stairs this year. I just happened upon cheap hangers when I was getting the lights this evening. The kind that are heavy and have a hook in front. Not especially pretty, but not very obtrusive either.
|There they are!|
|But the red one always belongs to the baby.|